There are 3.5 million women over 50 in the workplace in the UK and women make up 77 per cent of the 1.3 million people in the NHS workforce alone – so why do we not talk more about the menopause when it affects so many of our colleagues and loved ones?
West Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership is working with people affected by the menopause across health and social care to stamp out the taboo and stigma that still exists.
Whether you’re a person experiencing perimenopause or menopause, a friend, partner or family member of someone who is, or whether you’re a leader or healthcare professional – join us to get informed, make a difference and help us to bring menopause to the mainstream.
Take a look at the resources, listen to our podcast or join us for one of our ‘let’s talk menopause’ virtual sessions launched as part of International Women’s Day 2023 – because menopause deserves a mention and it’s time to #BreakTheBias.
Upcoming menopause webinars
At West Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership, we are working together to support our workforce and raise awareness around menopause. Join one of our free sessions in 2023 which will be led by menopause specialists to help you through your menopause journey or supporting someone who may be going through the menopause.
Sessions are available to all health and care staff including VCSE and community sector colleagues.
Below is a series of webinars on wellbeing and the menopause. Please watch the videos:
Menopause resources for colleagues
We’ve pulled together the list of handy menopause resources below to provide information and support for those experiencing the menopause.
They may also be useful if you know someone who is experiencing perimenopause or menopause, or you want to understand more about what it feels like to experience it.
Please let us know if there’s anything else you think we could add by using the feedback form at the bottom of this page.
General resources about the menopause
- Read the facts about the menopause – from #RockMyMenopause
- Watch a video question and answer (Q&A) session – ‘Menopause Uncovered’
- Watch a video about the difference between the perimenopause and the menopause with Dr Louise Newson (Punjabi translation)
- Watch an information webinar from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) featuring expert clinicians talking about the menopause
- Download a menopause support pack from Pausitivity
Resources about menopause symptoms
- Read about the symptoms of menopause
- Download a menopause symptom tracker
- Read about hot flushes and night sweats
- Listen to a podcast with Dr Jane Davis and Dr Louise Price on how to identify if you’re perimenopausal
- Listen to a podcast with Dr Jane Davis about the ‘rollercoaster effect’ many feel during perimenopause
Resources about staying well during the menopause
- Read about taking care of your bone health
- Read about taking care of your pelvic floor muscles
- Read about taking care of your mental health
- Watch a video interview about getting good sleep from Dr Jessica Baron
- Watch a video about food and the menopause with Dr Louise Newson (Hindi translation)
- Watch a video about exercise and the menopause with Dr Louise Newson (Hindi translation)
- Listen to a podcast with Dr Jane Davis about sex during the perimenopause
If you work in health or care across West Yorkshire and are experiencing feelings that are difficult to cope with, our mental health and wellbeing hub is here to help. You can self-refer yourself confidentially to the hub or alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a wellbeing check-in.
Resources about menopause in the workplace
- Read about managing your menopause in work
- Watch a TedTalk where Andrea Berchowitz talks about the link between menopause and gender inequity at work
Resources about speaking to your GP during the menopause
Menopause resources for line managers and HR teams
As people managers and health and care leaders, we are responsible for ensuring we support our colleagues through every stage of their life.
Below are a selection of resources that can help people and HR managers to provide compassionate and informed support for colleagues experiencing the menopause.
- Why its urgent and important for all employers to talk about the menopause (online article featuring Professor Jo Brewis).
- Menopause support: an essential part of your HR toolkit (online article featuring Evelyn Dickey, former HR director at Seven Trent)
- Menopause and employment law (online article)
- The menopause at work: guidance for line managers (from the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, or CIPD)
- Download the CIPD’s Menopause at Work guide for people professionals
- Download a ‘Let’s Talk Menopause at Work’ poster (from CIPD)
- Read the NHS electronic staff record (ESR) guide on logging menopause-related sickness